A shag rug is a type of carpet that has a deeper pile than other floor coverings in this category. When you look at it, chances are it’ll remind you of the 60s or 70s décor. Indeed, the shag rug was a central accent piece during this time.
Interestingly, shag rugs were already in vogue long before that. In fact, earlier records indicated its presence in the early 4th century. To be accurate, the flokati rug from Greece. However, this remains popular today as it did then.
Thanks to the growing interest of people in mixing the latest styles with classic décor, the shag rug is making a comeback of late. Then again, some might say it never went away at all. Regardless, apart from its style, people favor the shag rug because it’s also comfortable to the touch.
Imagine taking off your shoes at the end of the day and stepping on your shag rug. It’s one of those feelings that gives you a sense of luxury. Chances are the sensation is something you’d likely want to experience again and again.
Well, you can. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about getting the best shag rug in your home. This is because of the wide range of shag rugs sold in the market to date. However, with so many to choose from how do you know which one to get? Shag rugs are available in different types, sizes, and lengths.
To give you an idea of what’s on the market to date, we feature the top shag rug products. Each has distinct characteristics that qualified them as the best in this category.
Safavieh SG151 Shag Rug
The Safavieh SG151 Shag Rug is made of durable acrylic. Its fibers are handwoven for a plusher and softer feel. Everyone in your home including your baby will love its texture. Its brand is well-known for its quality rugs so this one is no exception. Hence, it looks as good its expensive counterparts yet it doesn’t cost a lot.
The Safavieh SG151 Shag Rug measures 2.25 x 11 ft and it weighs 20 pounds. It comes in 21 colors. Choose from beige, black, brown, dark grey, green, ivory, light blue, purple, pink, periwinkle, navy, mushroom, maroon, and lilac to name a few. Thus, you can easily match it to a room’s color theme.
Sculpted Cream/Beige Shag Rug with Thick Pile
You’ll enjoy the Sculpted Cream/Beige Shag Rug with Thick Pile for its distinct luxurious feel and elegant look. Moreover, you’ll love the raised high-low pile design with a scrolling pattern in beige amid a cream background.
Ideal for indoor use, the manufacturer advises putting a non-skid pad underneath before placing this on a smooth surface. The size of the Sculpted Cream/Beige Shag Rug with Thick Pile is 2 ft 3 inches x 15 ft. As such, it’s meant to be used as a runner.
The Sculpted Cream/Beige Shag Rug with Thick Pile is made primarily of synthetic polypropylene material. It’s antimicrobial and resistant to stains. So you don’t have to worry if your little ones or beloved pets play on it. Other color combinations of the Sculpted Cream/Beige Shag Rug with Thick Pile are cream/blue, crème/crème, light blue/cream, cream/beige, dark blue/cream, and gray/beige.
Sweet Home Stores Cozy Shag Collection Solid Shag Rug
Sweet Home Stores’ Cozy Shag Collection Solid Shag Rug is a great addition to your contemporary living room, bedroom, or both. Its dark red color will certainly make a major statement in your home. It’s made of synthetic polypropylene that’s 100% heat set. Moreover, it’s machine woven so you’re guaranteed of its quality. Hence, it will last long without falling apart.
The product measures 60 x 84 x 1.2 inches and weighs 19.4 pounds. Apart from a vibrant red color, other colors available for the Cozy Shag Collection Solid Shag Rug are brown, charcoal grey, cream, grey, navy, orange, beige, teal, and turquoise.
Safavieh Hudson Shag Collection SGH280A Ivory and Grey Area Rug
The Hudson Shag Collection SGH280A Ivory and Grey Area Rug is made by Safavieh, a brand known for its quality and style. This product fits the bill. Measuring 5 ft 1-inch x 7 ft 6 inches, you can place this rug in your bedroom or in your living room.
It features a Moroccan inspired ogee motif. But don’t worry as it will naturally blend with your existing design and décor. Moreover, the pile height of the Safavieh Hudson Shag Collection SGH280A Ivory and Grey Area Rug is 2 inches. Thus, you get a more luxurious feel and appearance when you have it in your home.
The Safavieh Hudson Shag Collection SGH280A Ivory and Grey Area Rug is made of synthetic polypropylene. Its backing is latex and jute. Color combinations for this product include ivory/grey, ivory/beige, navy/ivory, blue/ivory, dark grey/ivory, red/ivory, and grey/ivory.
iCustomRug Cozy Soft And Plush Pile
The iCustomRug Cozy Soft And Plush Pile is a round shaped shag area rug. It’s made of 100% synthetic polyester that’s hand tufted. Because of its plush pile feature, you’ll have no problems keeping it clean. Moreover, it’s more durable. Yet it still gives you the same luxurious feeling with a 1.5-inch pile height.
The backing is made of soft felt so your floors won’t get scratched. The iCustomRug Cozy Soft And Plush Pile measures 4 feet round.
You have 15 colors to choose from namely ocean blue, black, blush pink, charcoal grey, chocolate brown, cream, light brown, trellis charcoal, taupe, red, off white, lime green, light grey, chocolate, and black/white.
What to look for
Getting the best shag rug shouldn’t be a problem as long as you keep in mind the following factors. Each item gives you a better opportunity to examine each aspect of a product thoroughly. As a result, you have a better chance of getting what you want.
- Type – Your choices would be between five types of shag rugs. There’s flokati, wool, leather, acrylic, and synthetic. Its color of white/cream and fluffiness are the characteristics of the flokati rug that make it a popular choice. However, these same traits are the reason why some don’t like it. Why? Because the flokati rug can end up yellowish and tangled without constant maintenance. Wool shag rugs come in two variants. You can choose between noodle rugs or the shaggy kind. The first gets its name because of how it looks. Its appearance also gives it its softness. Yet it’s also why it’s very hard to clean. The other kind has thinner fibers. Nonetheless, it’s still soft to the touch. Better yet it’s easier to clean than it’s counterpart wool shag rug. The choice of a leather shag rugs would likely be a matter of personal preference. It has a distinct look and unique feel that might appeal to some. You can also get an acrylic shag rug. However, make sure it’s safe to have inside the home. Synthetic shag rugs serve as an alternative to pricier types. In addition, these are easier to clean.
- Texture – The texture of a shag rug would depend on the length of its fibers. You can choose one with long fibers for a more luxurious feel. On the other hand, you can opt for a short length that’s easier to maintain.
- Size – Shag rugs come in different sizes. Depending on where you plan to put it in your home, you have your choice of a size to cover a huge part of your floor area. On the other hand, you can choose a size that serves to accentuate a specific part of a room.
- Design – Nowadays, you have your choice of patterns or solid colors to choose from. Patterned shag rugs add greater visual interest to a room. At the same time, it still offers the same comfort of the traditional rug. But don’t discount solid colored shag rugs as they add an elegant look to a room.
- Price – As expected, the price of shag rugs covers a wide range. This is because of the different types you can choose from. Thus, you can expect to find the most expensive to the most affordable. Nonetheless, it’s best to determine your budget before you start shopping to make sure you don’t go overboard in spending. Not to worry, as you can find a shag rug within your price range.
- Care – Maintenance is essential when you have a shag rug. This is because you want it to look good every time. However, cleaning a shag rug sometimes requires professional services. Although some rugs can be cleaned using a regular vacuum.
You don’t have to worry about finding the best shag rug to meet your requirements. By keeping these factors in mind you’ll have no problem getting it. To begin with, consider what type of shag rug you want. You’ll also need to consider texture, size, and design.
Prior to making your purchase, it’s also best to take into account the maintenance requirements of a particular shag rug. You’ll need to assess if you can commit to such upkeep in order to maintain the look you want. Last but not the least, is the price. How much are you willing to spend for a shag rug?
To make your search easier, make sure to check out these top products in the shag rug category. Perhaps, one of these will meet your requirements for the best shag rug.